Ice cream isn't exclusive to the summer, but interest certainly peaks when temperatures rise and the days get longer. Indulge your sweet tooth and treat yourself to one of Cambridge's many ice cream shops. My undisputed top 5 are listed below.
1. Berryline - Harvard & Porter Square. This shop is more widely known for their frozen yogurt, but they also offer a variety of ice cream and TAZA hot chocolate made to order. Winner of Boston.com's "best fro yo" 6 times in the last 7 years.
2. Christina's Homemade Ice Cream - Inman Square. Christina's opened its door in 1983 and has been serving the Cambridge community ever since. This stores offers dozens of bold and inventive flavors. Don't miss the Mexican Chocolate!
3. J. P. Licks - Harvard Square. You name it, they have it: ice cream, frozen yogurt, cakes, coffees, specialty fountain drinks, and catering. This Greater Boston chain truly does it all, and has a passion for giving back to the community.
4. Toscanini's Ice Cream - Central Square. This one-of-a kind, family-owned shop is no secret to locals and tourists alike. Their ice cream has been described as “The World's Best Ice Cream” by The New York Times.
5. Honeycomb Creamery - Porter Square. Honeycomb Creamery is known for its savory small batch locally sourced ice cream - all made in Cambridge. The shop offers a long list of rotating flavors and a handful of vegan flavors.