Thanks largely to Harvard & MIT Cambridge has some genuinely impressive museums, and they are extremely accessible. In fact, many of the museums offer free or discounted admission to students and Cambridge residents!
1. Harvard Art Museums. I love art. I could spend the entire day at this museum and want to come back the following day. I confess I am drawn to the big tickets items in the Maurice Wertheim Collection.
2. Harvard Museum of Natural History. A lot of people would rank this #1. Two words: Glass Flowers. The collection is stunning!
3. MIT Museum. This museum may be smaller in size, but its a wonderful combination of art and science. Cambridge Library card holders get in free in July & August.
4. Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology. Technically part of the Harvard Museum of Natural History, but it holds its own.
5. Museum of Science, Boston. You may think this is misplaced on a Cambridge list. Little known fact: a large part of the museum is in Cambridge.